20 Questions with The Dirty Heads
The Dirty Heads have catapulted to the top of the charts with a style you’d like to define but can’t exactly pinpoint, making it all the more captivating. We asked singer Jared Watson 20 questions in a segment we like to call 20 questions with The Dirty Heads in anticipation of the band’s Fox Theater show this April. Let’s just say the fellas drink bloody Marys, shoot Jack before shows and like Brazilian butts. Can we be friends?
1. Why are you called the Dirty Heads?
Nickname given to our crew of friends when we were younger.
2. If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing?
Still trying to finish art school, skating or running the surfshop with my brother.
3. Best/worst groupie story?
First rule of groupie stories is you don’t publicly tell groupie stories in a magazine.
4. At what point did you realize you “made it?”
I’ll let you know when I get there. A lot of work left for me to do.
5. What’s your favorite venue and why?
Red Rocks, visually. But the venue usually doesn’t matter to me. It’s the crowd that makes me love the city.
6. Pre-concert ritual?
Our sound guy gives us all right-handed high fives and Dave pours five shots of Jack Daniels.
7. What’s the best part about playing Colorado?
The people, Red Rocks, the weed,Cheeba Hut.
8. Specific influences or influential people on your work?
Life, love and music.
9. Favorite part about being a professional musician?
Finishing a song. The feeling of the crowd singing with you. And I never get bored between touring and switching back to studio mode.
10. What three songs are you currently listening to?
Modestep: “Up,” Joey Badass: “Carthasis,” Black Uhuru: “Stalk of Sinsemilla.”
11. Coke or Pepsi?
Neither, I don’t drink anything that they have to put a chemical in to make you not throw up from how much sugar is in it...Well, I take that back, I’ll drink Coke if there’s Jack in it.
12. Night or day?
13. What's the best hangover cure?
Hair of the dog, a beer or a bloody.
14. Preferred drink?
Beer: Peroni. Booze: lots. Smoothie: Avocado.
15. Food of choice?
Sushi or anything Japanese.
16. What’s one thing people would never guess about the band?
Our combined weight.
17. Celebrity crush?
Yolandi Visser of Die Antwoord.
18. You’re currently touring in Brazil, what’s better in Brazil than the U.S.?
19. Best words of advice?
Find out all the information before reacting,
assuming or blaming.
20. One thing you want to do before you die:
Goonies never say die.