A Drake challenge disaster and RIP Zombie Boy: This is Harmony in the Headlines
Algorithms broken? Too busy to care? Each week we recap the most interesting music headlines from the past 7-or-so days. Simply put, we want to catch you up on what's happening in the boom boom bap while others are busy writing about "isms."
1. Ladies and germs, welcome back to another installment of Harmony in the Headlines. Great news to start things off: indie rocker Two Feet is recovering after a suicide attempt was widely publicized via Twitter. The musician took to the social media site and posted a long goodbye letter thanking fans and everyone for listening. "I love you so much," he told fans. "I hope I've helped you in some manner."
2. Which just goes to show how fragile life can be. An Iowa teen can relate; after jumping out of her car to participate in that dumbass Drake challenge, her father wasn't so sure he'd ever get to see her alive again. She fell, cracked her head open, and barely came out of it. Does Drake force people to jump out of their cars and dance? No, but he is 100 percent profiting off it it and should probably be held responsible for stupid shit like this. Just our two cents.
3. The world is one hip-hop album richer now that Travis Scott's Astroworld has been released. Of course it didn't come without controversy. People noticed one album cover version was used over another (featuring transgender model Amanda Lepore). Her absence was misguidedly labeled as hateful, which forced Travis Scott to apologize for not doing anything wrong. Don't you all just love 2018?
4. And the world said goodbye to a legend after it was announced Rick "Zombie Boy" Genest passed at only 32 years old. He was featured on Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" video and has appeared on multiple other mediums due to his extreme body modifications. The death was first reported as a suicide, though an investigation is still pending.
POST OF THE WEEK
Shit. I don’t usually put my foot in my mouth. But this time, I did. ‘This is America’ actually WAS nominated for 7 VMAs. How I didn’t get the right info is beyond me. I stand corrected. I’m sorry MTV. Still hate you though. but mostly, I’m sorry.— Adam Levine (@adamlevine) August 4, 2018
5. Death was an unfortunate commonality in music this week — the iconic Viper Room in its crosshairs, too. Turns out, it might be torn down after $80 mil was spent on buying the block. There haven't been any official announcements yet on what will happen, but people speculate it'll be gentrified as fuck — dismantled, its memories shoved into the annals of time.
6. What took them so long, you ask? YouTube has just now began taking action again FLVTO.biz and 2conv.com, two ripping sites that can grab audio from YouTube videos and turn them into mp3s. Sites like those have been active for a very, very long time — strange the company is just now catching on?
7. French rappers Booba and Kaaris got into a wild brawl at Orly airport on Wednesday — a scene so hype it caused delays for other passengers and shut part of the airport down. Video below. Enjoy your weekend.