Lady Gaga does Vegas and so long Warped Tour: This is Harmony in the Headlines
Algorithms broken? Too busy to care? Each week we recap the most interesting music headlines from the past 7-or-so days. Simply put, we want to catch you up on what's happening in the boom boom bap while others are busy writing about "isms."
1. We're baaaaack. And not a moment too soon — someone let Billy Joel out and he won't be caged again! In a recent interview with Vulture's David Marchese, the rock icon asked quite bluntly, why the fuck aren't people smashing the brain domes of Nazis? "So when those guys see punks walking around with swastikas, how do they keep from taking a baseball bat and bashing those crypto-Nazis over the head?" he asked. "Those creeps are going to march through the streets of my country? Uh-uh."
2. Luckily, Germany is far, far removed from its unfortunate past and lives in the real world now. Case in point, two guys there broke out of a hospital last week just to go to a metal concert — so maybe it's not all normal, but praise be to those hardcore for lifers for being metal as fuck.
3. And does anyone know what the hell is up with GRiZ lately? He's been sending cryptic, one letter posts to Instagram, finally revealing they all spell "INIFINITE" just a few days ago — wait, wait, a new album perhaps!? We'll allow it.
4. What about this "drill" genre everyone is talking about? Apparently it pissed off the MARS candy company enough that it pulled all of its ads from YouTube. Per Wikipedia — because we're too lazy to go down any rabbitholes right now — drill is a type of music that originated in the south side of Chicago and is being compared to '90s gangsta rap for its violent tone. Seems to us it's just another hypocrisy of the world. Yeah, no shit these kids are singing about death, they live through it everyday. ...
5. Can't blame 'em either. Shit looks grim for plenty of people involved in music. A new report was released just a few days ago that states the industry made a staggering $43 billion last year — and artists only took home 12 percent of that.
POST OF THE WEEK
A post shared by 50 Cent (@50cent) on
6. Nothing that can't be cured by listening to Kanye for over 11 minutes saying a lot but not really saying much at all. He was recently on Jimmy Kimmel's show and clearly had a much different perspective of the world than he did when visiting TMZ.
7. Speaking of batshit crazy, Las Vegas is that and continues its reign as a one-stop shop for all things entertainment. Next in line to drop a residency in the City of Sin? Lady motherfucking Gaga. Get your tickets now, rich white girls in sexy black dresses are bound to scoop them up in no time.
8. Snoop Dogg, he too is going to be gracing stages. Not much different than he has for the past 20 years, right? No, it is. This time he'll be touring a musical about his life called "Redemption of a Dogg." He calls it, "urban theater." Done.
9. Sadly, to end, Warped Tour is no more. The iconic roving festival shuttered its tents with Every Time I Die still playing as crews dismantled the stage. What began in 1995 as an extreme sports-heavy getaway quickly became the Mecca for anyone in the know that enjoys black hoodies. Hurts to see it go, but such is life ...