Algorithms broken? Too busy to care? Each week we recap the most interesting music headlines from the past 7-or-so days. Simply put, we want to catch you up on what's happening in the boom boom bap while others are busy writing about "isms."
1. Welcome to another edition of Harmony in the Headlines folks … good news: four people have now been indicted in the murder of XXXTentacion. As of right now, two of them have been caught and two of them are at large. The one who snitched, well he told investigators he's afraid of being labeled a snitch in prison. Yeah, well, good riddance.
2. Of course, the murder weapon was a gun (hey, this is AMERICA after all). And no one loves guns more than Ted Nugent, except for at his shows, no guns are allowed at his shows. Ironic, ain't it.
3. And still speaking of guns, everyone remember's M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes," the ear-worm that famously made the phrase "boom boom boom bshhhh AND TAKE YOUR MONAY!" popular. She has a new documentary coming soon. We'll drop the trailer below so you don't have to go Googling anything.
4. Oh hey, Chvrches covered Kendrick Lamar's "LOVE." — fuckin' A.
5. Next month, Seattle plans to erect a statue of Chris Cornell at the city's Museum of Pop Culture. Dudes like him help put its music scene on the map, he deserves it. Well done, angel of the Northwest.
6. Not all cities are created equal, however. Hip-hop deity Jay-Z is in a fight with Philadelphia. Turns out, they booted his two-day Made in America festival out of a popular spot in town. The city's mayor claims he loves Jay and it's all a misunderstanding. Godspeed on figuring out this Earth-shattering problem soon.
7. Victims of the Route 91 massacre in Las Vegas are finding themselves at the butt-end of the law as well. MGM (the owner of Mandalay Bay where shooter Stephen Paddock fired onto the crowd) has preemptively "sued" them in an effort to get a judge to figure out liability. The headlines look bad, but it's actually not as bad as it sounds.
8. What is frightening, is a new study released that claims people are just running around on bath salts without even knowing it. Researchers tested the spit of festival goers and found that hundreds of them did not have drugs in their system that they thought they'd taken. Nope, bath salts. As in, shit that makes you all kinds of crazy.
9. Is Oasis reuniting? Liam Gallagher says, "sure" — and the drinks are on him.
10. Last but not least, Radiohead's Thom Yorke is pissed. At a recent Toronto show he went off on the city for doing basically nothing about a stage collapse some years ago. “Six years ago, we wanted to do a show in Toronto," he said. "The stage collapsed, killing our colleague and friend. The people who should be held accountable are still not being held accountable in your city. The silence is fuckin’ deafening.”
Until next time, folks. …