Our degree in underwater basket weaving and gambling falls considerably short of a Ph.D but that doesn't bar us from understanding if you drink two Monster Energy drinks a day for three years you're going to suffer some type of adverse health effect. That still hasn't stopped one mother from living the American Dream and suing Monster Beverage Corp. for causing the death of her son. 

Alex Morris, 19, from Silver Springs, Maryland suffered cardiac arrest due to cardiac arrhythmia and cardiomyopathy last year and was pronounced dead at the hospital. For those not familiar with the medical terms nor can pronounce them, a cardiac arrhythmia is an electrical problem with the rate or rhythm of the heartbeat, meaning it can beat too slow or too fast. When this occurs, the heart may not pump enough blood to the brain and other organs, which could result in the loss of consciousness or death.

His mother, Paula Morris, is now tapping into the legal system claiming her son drank two cans of Monster a day for three years, including one the day of his death. She's also using the same lawyers who attempted to pursue another case against Monster Energy drink after a 14-year-old girl died from consuming one 24-ounce can of Monster a day. 

It's not Monster who we should be blaming. It's the parents of these kids who are drinking sugary, caffeinated drinks every single day without intervention. If you eat Big Macs everyday you'll have health problems. If you drink Diet Coke everyday you'll have problems. If you let the dog lick peanut butter off your junk everyday you'll have problems. We shouldn't blame corporations for our problems, we should blame ourselves for not demonstrating self restraint. 

We can't keep passing blame in the form of lawsuits. At some point, we have to accept the fact that there are stupid people in the world, and evolution will inevitable and irreversibly take care of them in some way, shape or form.