Too lifted to read the news? We gotcha. Here's the news on drugs that caught our eye last week:
1. Good people smoke marijuana, and good business people are heading toward the weed industry, as cannabis companies in Canada are poaching top business talent from the food and beverage sectors, The Globe and Mail reported. Weed will be fully legal in Canada in October, and the country is now basically the world leader in the pot business.
2. Marijuana is now apparently a winning political position, even for Republicans, even in conservative states. Evidence? A GOP gubernatorial candidate in Tennessee included her own support for medical marijuana in an ad — along with President Trump's assertion that "medical should happen."
4. Are kids getting fucked up more or less often than before? One day you hear that Gen Z — kids between 13 and 23 — are avoiding substances in order to stare at their phones, and the next day new data from the British government says use of "serious" drugs by that age group is at the highest level in 12 years.
5. Psychedelics can do good, and companies are making the medicines quickly now. Compass Pathways, backed by PayPal co-founder and Trumpist Peter Thiel, has churned out at least 4,000 doses of psilocybin. The company is advised by the former chief drug officer in Britain, who says psilocybin will be a legal treatment by 2027. For now, folks are just doing psilocybin on their own.
6. Toads will get you so fucked up, man, and thieves were caught on camera stealing Sonoran Desert Toads in Arizona, throwing them in shopping bags, and bolting. Cops are searching for the poachers. When smoked, the toads' venom erases all mind activity like a shaken Etch-a-Sketch, and then puts your thoughts back together in a (potentially) more positive way.
7. Psychedelics can also scramble up your senses and leave 'em that way, as a college kid took LSD, told his friends "I love you," ran down the hall and jumped out a fifth-floor window to his death. The kid's frat brother, who sold him the L, got three years in jail. Remember, if drugs convince you that you can fly: try taking off from the ground first.
8. Demi Lovato is okay, as the singer and struggler remains in the hospital after overdosing on, apparently, heroin. She used to be on Barney, then the Disney Channel. Maybe crappy, exploitative TV is the gateway drug. Here's Selena Gomez's mom posting a throwback image of Lovato in (possibly) simpler times: